newforestwba © 2009 • all rights reserved• RFH

AFFILIATED CLUBS

 

With clickable links to Club web sites (where available). 

Move your mouse over the individual badges to reveal information about the origins of the badge design and club. Scroll down the page to see

the general location of the Clubs in and around The New Forest National Park and for more detail follow the link for Club Addresses and links to Google Maps.

 

The badge depicts the Pine Trees surrounding the green. Braeside Club was founded by Mr. J Clarke in 1978 on an outdoor carpet with 60 members. The original small pavilion was replaced by the present one in August 1988 and was opened by David Bryant. It has always been a mixed club.

Joined in 1979

The design of the badge represents a 'high cliff'. The mixed club opened in 1975, having been built by Christchurch Council in Nea Meadows, a Local Nature Reserve. The running of the club was taken over by the membership in 2008.

Joined in 1976

The picture on the badge is of the Water Tower which is situated in the car park off Osborne Road. The club was formed in 1924 as a male only club and the ladies had to wait until 1932 before their section was formed. The new clubhouse was built in 1996 with the aid of a grant from the lottery. A founder member of the NFWBA which withdrew a year later, rejoining in 1974.

Founder member

Left and rejoined in 1974

The Badger is the 'Brock' in Brockenhurst. The Club was formed in 1936 with a male membership of around thirty-five. The ladies section began in 1969 with about twelve ladies. Brockenhurst club is the HQ of the NFWBA.

Brockenhurst

Joined in 1964

The club badge depicts the bridge from which the mixed club takes its name. Christchurch Council built the club on reclaimed land on the River Stour flood plain in 1975. In 2001 the running of the club was taken over by the members.

Joined in 2003

Joined in 1963

The badge depicts Christchurch Priory. The first turfs for the green were laid in 1924 and the club opened for play in 1925. It was an all male domain until 1989 when permission was given for a small ladies section. Five ladies put £5.00 into a kitty to get started and the membership continued to grow. In 1999, at the men's suggestion, the club became mixed and in 2000 the club selected their first Lady President.

Christchurch

Joined in 1997

Discontinued

The ship in the badge was a copy of the Lymington crest on the Old Borough Arms. The mixed club was founded in 1921 by local business people for their recreation. An extension to the club house, partly funded by the membership and a loan from the council, was opened in May 1994 by the then Mayor of Lymington.

Founder member

1962

The symbols on the badge represent the forest with the tree, the River Avon by the fish together with the brige over the River Avon. The club was formed in 1933 with the condition that the membership must be available to working class men at a cost of One Guinea. A ladies section was added in 1934 with ten members.

Joined in 2000

The Club's badge depicts a Bustard, a large bird once common on the Salisbury Plain. Downton Bowling Club was formed in 1980 when Ralph Bentley, an international bowler and Past President of the English Bowling Association, retired to Downton. He started the mixed club with the help of fifty three villagers who paid £5.00 each as inauguration fee and was played on the village school playing field. The green in Wick Lane was opened in 1983.

Joined in 1987

The stag's head is to represent the New Forest. The club was founded in 1927 as an all-male domain and it took until 1980 before the ladies section was formed. The new changing rooms were opened in 2000. In 2010 Liz Russell will be the first Lady President.

Joined in 1983

The Club was formed in 1920 with 3 rinks. In 1985 the green was extended to 6 rinks with members undertaking all the maintenance.

Joined in 2011

The badge emblem is made up of the initials of the club. The club was formed in 1927 as a male only club with a membership of twenty nine. In 1974 the ladies section was formed with ten ladies and they joined the leagued the following year. The new clubhouse was built with the help of lottery funding and opened in July 1975.

Joined in 1973

The badge depicts the view of the Isle of Wight Needles from the green. The club was founded in 1933 with forty one male members and seven ladies. As the numbers increased Milford became the first club in the Association to have a lady President.

Founder member

Left and rejoined in 1981

The Knight in shining armour is taken from the Cadland Estate Coat of Arms, the flames represent the Fawley refinery, the stag's head the forest and the lines of gold and orange are the sea. The men's club opened in 1950 and the ladies followed three years later with sixteen players. Originally known as Esso Bowling Club.

Founder member

1962

  A map to show the general location of New Forest WBA clubs in and around The New Forest National Park © SCA 2011